Day of Admission
Please follow your doctor’s instructions regarding preparation on the day of your procedure. Usually this would include a period of fasting (nothing to eat or drink, including water) for a specified period of time before surgery.
Please do not smoke, consume sweets or chew gum whilst fasting. You should not drink alcohol for 24hrs prior to your surgery and 24hrs following.
Below is a checklist of what to do on the morning of your procedure.
The morning of your admission (before surgery)
- Have a shower and wash/dry your hair. (for eye surgery)
- Take your usual morning medication with minimal water unless otherwise instructed (such as diabetic medication or fluid tablets). If you are unsure, please discuss this with your doctor prior to your admission.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing preferably with short sleeves, buttons at the front and loose neckline.
- Please remove and leave all jewellery (including wedding bands) at home.
- Do not wear makeup, nail polish or shellac.
- If you have a hearing aid, please leave that in place.
Discharge and After Care
It is essential that you have a nominated relative or carer to accompany you home following your procedure. It is suggested that this person stay with you for a period of 24 hours post surgery. If you have had an anaesthetic, you must NOT operate a vehicle for at least 24 hours following your procedure.